Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Flowers

This weekend was a weekend of date nights for me and N. And it just happened to be the weekend of Valentine's Day. I'm not a big Valentine's Day celebrator. But I don't know if that's always been the case. When I was in high school, I remember complaining that I had never received any flowers for Valentine's Day. And lo and behold, Valentine's Day my junior year, I received a dozen roses from a secret admirer. I giggled and chatted with my friends about this for days. The following year, I received a plant, with one rose in it, and the card said "If you don't thank me this year, you won't get any next year." I didn't know who it was, so I couldn't thank them. I don't remember how I later found out, but it was my father who had given me the roses. That was the kind of man he was.

N gave me an orchid this weekend. I've been wanting an orchid for a few years in fact, ever since I saw them at the Charlottesville Farmer's Market. It was a real surprise to get one. I always told N not to get me flowers for any occasion, because they always die. I'd rather get a plant, something that will be with us for a while (hopefully). And he did. That's the kind of man he is. I've been lucky to have such sweet men in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Good men are such a blessing...